Monday, November 3, 2014

And Now, Something Completely Different

I have a spare moment and have just finished something that I'm actually pretty proud of, considering my fear of doing anything with millinery other than attaching ribbon trims and flowers.

I made myself a quilted bonnet! My first immersion event is coming up this weekend and I made this to keep my head warm and look presentable and all that.

Tada! Pictures!
Front View

Side View

Inside of the Bonnet. I chose this lining in case I have to permanently retire my wash dress of the fabric, I love this print so much I want to remember it!

Cat hair and Chalk marks, but also the quilting pattern I used on the brim

More cat hair, more chalk marks, and the different quilting I did on the tip of the bonnet. I chose not to quilt the bavolet and like it better that way.



Fabric: Wool outer, cotton lining

Pattern: Anna Worden Bauersmith's Quilted Bonnet pattern

Year: 186-?, it's a quilted model of the spoon bonnet

Hours to Complete: DANGIT, I never do remember to time these things! Uhh, probably somewhere around 5-8 hours? I did it all by hand and over the course of several days, when I had time.

Notions: Cotton batting, wire, grosgrain ribbon

How Historically Accurate Is It?: Uhhhhhhhhh 90-something%? I used a well-researched pattern, 100% wool and 100% cotton (in a period appropriate print), hand-quilted appropriate designs, and it's a period-appropriate shape. I don't know what the fiber content on the ribbon is, but it's probably rayon or something and they're too narrow (though they're temporary anyway, everything came from my stash and I don't have a collection of ribbon for bonnet ties just laying around). I also used cotton batting where it should have likely been wool, and the wire I used to stiffen the brim isn't millinery wire, it's mystery coated wire.

First Worn: For pictures, and will be worn this weekend at GCV&M's Flint Hill event

Total Cost: Stash project, yeeeeeah! The wool is from Renaissance Fabrics and is $16/yard (I used half a yard), the cotton batting is from Joann's but I don't remember how much it was, the cotton lining was leftover from a dress and the fabric for that was $3.29/yard (I used half a yard. And yes, you're reading that correctly, and it wasn't even on sale!), and the grosgrain ribbon was part of a candy package or something like that so I didn't actually buy it.


I'll try not to let ages and ages pass before my next post - I plan on my next post being a reflection of my first immersion event ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment