Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Travels to Sturbridge Village

I promised not to wait too long before posting this, and then I went and waited almost a whole month! And as a matter of fact, I think I might do this as a series, there’s just so much that I could nerd out about that to do it as a single post it would be reeeeeally long.
In case you missed it before, in November I had the opportunity to go to Massachusetts and visit Sturbridge Village, to learn how to bottom (or attach the soles to) pegged shoes with their shoemaker there, Peter Oakley.

I was really excited to go, about 50% because of the learning opportunity and 50% because this was my first road trip on my own (which almost didn't happen because I left just as Snow-vember hit Western NY). The drive was great – I made up a playlist for my iPod and got an audio version of Walden by Henry David Thoreau to listen to in the car. Armed with snacks and coffee, I was on my way!

I was fortunate enough to be staying in Sturbridge for free, in the Village’s intern housing. It’s so close to the Village that the parking lots are actually all interconnected and if I really wanted to, I could walk. Another great perk of the Village is that I got free coffee (I’m not even joking. It was so incredible to get free coffee whenever I wanted that I could have cried tears of joy) and discounts on food. I had a spectacular gluten free brownie there. Well, two actually.

Jim (my coworker, who has been teaching me the parts of shoe-making that are general leather-working, like constructing the uppers) and I went over to the Sturbridge Village Visitor’s Center to meet up with the staff-member who was serving as our liaison to orient us. We met Shaun, who is an awesome shoemaker from Fort Ticonderoga and then we met Derek, our liaison, who took us to costuming. I had realized about halfway through the drive to Massachusetts that I had forgotten my corset at home, so I was feeling pretty ashamed that I had forgotten a crucial part of my luggage. Still, we managed to sort me out and my back didn't suffer too much from hunching over on a bench without support. After that we went and got coffee and then headed to the shoe shop to get to work.

Photo used courtesy of Shaun Pekar. Peter Oakley is in the background there - a very patient teacher!

We spent two days working in the shoe shop, not just learning but also interpreting – it started to feel a little like being back home in our little Museum. I didn't quite finish my shoe, but all that needs to be done is to put on the heel and some little cosmetic finishing touches.


I had a wonderful time, loved the learning experience, and definitely want to go back to Sturbridge, but perhaps next time as a regular visitor so that I can take lots of pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment